Most development is targeted at Linux and Solaris with the odd diversion into Windows when it can not be avoided.
When possible, Windows development is done using the Cygwin POSIX emulation system and the MinGW cross compiler, allowing the same source code to be
targeted at Unix like OS's (Linux, Solaris) and Windows and also allows the GNU compiler suite to be used across all platforms.
The standard tool set includes:
- Linux for back end server functionality.
- GCC/G++ C and C++ compiler suite, across all platforms (Linux, Solaris and Windows/Cygwin/MinGW).
- Perl scripting language and Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN) (if you can't find it in CPAN then it probably can't be done).
- Postgres relational database.
- Apache web server.
- Java and CGI for user interface.
- ANTLR: ANother Tool for Language Recognition, is a language tool that provides a framework for constructing recognizers, compilers, etc.
- Boost: Peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries.
- doxygen: Source code documentation generator tool: Doxygen is a documentation system for C++, C, Java, Objective-C, Python, IDL (Corba and Microsoft flavors), Fortran, VHDL, PHP, C#, and to some extent D.
- FreeTDS: Libraries for Unix and Linux that allows your programs to natively talk to Microsoft SQL Server and Sybase databases.
- gSOAP: SOAP C++ Web Services, cross-platform C and C++ implementation. Generates C/C++ source codes for Web service and client applications.
- mimetic: C++ MIME library, C++ MIME library for Unix built around the standard library.
- QuickFix: A full-featured open source FIX engine.
- STL: Standard Template Library, or STL, is a C++ library of container classes, algorithms, and iterators; it provides many of the basic algorithms and data structures of computer science. The STL is a generic library, meaning that its components are heavily parameterized: almost every component in the STL is a template.
- stunnel: Universal SSL Wrapper: Encrypt arbitrary TCP connections inside SSL.
- ZThreads: An advanced object-oriented, cross-platform C++ threading and synchronization library.